A pastor praying for COVID-19 patient tested positive in Rivers State - Rivers state government.


In Rivers state, 2 children of a dead coronavirus patient and his pastor who was praying for his recovery, have all tested positive for the pandemic disease.

However, this was made known by Nyesom Wike, the state governor, during a press briefing held in Port Harcourt, the state capital city of the state, on Friday, 1st May.

However, the governor in his briefing, disclosed that the pattern of transmission of the pandemic disease in the state has shown that most of the cases were imported. He also accused the security agents of sabotaging his government’s efforts to curtail the unfold of the disease.

Meanwhile, Rivers State has confirmed 13 cases with two deaths so far.

“The logical conclusion therefore, is that the pattern of transmission of COVID-19 in the State is evidentially predicated on outside importation just as the rate of infection and progression is also relatively low and arithmetical, when considered from the date of the index case.

Generally, we believe that unless there is a sudden and vertical slide into community transmission, we expect our COVID-19 infection and prevalent rate to continue along this low trajectory, which gives us the assurance that our hard work is paying off and Rivers State is certainly not in any dangerous position when compared to most other States, and we will never be by God’s special grace.

This is not to say that we are at the peak of this crisis and that everything about the containment and transmission of COVID-19 is under control. No; we are not, because of the challenges occasioned primarily by the negative elements that continue to undermine and sabotage our efforts to protect our people from this disease.

For instance, the 7th infected case was an offshore oil and gas worker who went and passed a night in a Lagos hotel before returning to Port Harcourt on the 9th of April 2020 with the aid of the security personnel manning our borders. When his symptoms started, he was admitted to a private hospital, (St. Martin’s Hospital) on the 20th and discharged on the 21st of April 2020. 

Had the security agencies not compromised their responsibility at the borders, this man would have been prevented from coming into Port Harcourt with this virus and threaten the lives of other people for over two weeks before he was evacuated to the treatment center.” he said


Wike also accused the Federal government of Nigeria for forsaking the state in its battle against novel virus. He went forward to describe how unfortunate the NCDC is yet to install a testing laboratory in the state.


“We are virtually fighting this battle without any tangible material support from the Federal Government. We are wondering as most of you may also be, that up till now the NCDC has not established any testing center in the State in spite of our position, huge socio-economic and demographic mix and high transmission threat hanging over us as a result. Was this deliberate? If not so, why and what was the justification for this dangerous neglect, which is obviously limiting our capacity to expand testing for this virus in the State.

But, for us as a Government, every single new infection of COVID-19 in our State is one too many. We shall therefore continue to take every necessary measure to control and possibly end the transmission of this disease in Rivers State in spite of the enormous challenges and lack of concrete support from the Federal Government.

It is for the very reason that we have taken our fate in our own hands with the establishment of the Border security task force, which has been mandated to provide and ensure a water-tight situation in all our entry and exit points and prevent any unauthorized entry and or exit of persons and vehicles into the State during the period of the closure.” Wike said


Thus, the governor added that his government declined the food Palliatives sent to them by the Federal government because the rice was contaminated and bad for consumption.

“The rice has expired and we cannot go to Cross River to go and collect contaminated rice,” he disclosed.

Speaking on the deportation of Almajiris, the governor revealed that if that had began from Rivers state, the Federal Government would have forcefully opposed the motion.

“I thank God this came from our northern brothers. The Kaduna State Government said most of the Almajiris have tested positive to coronavirus. 

If I was the first person the Federal Government would have declared that nobody has the right to deport a Nigerian. Now, because it came from them, the Federal Government has supported them.” the governor said

In addition, during his speech, the governor also announced that wearing of face mask is mandatory in the state.



Post a Comment

0 Comments